TV producer Eric Weinberg has $5-million bail revoked after judge labels him danger to society
He has pleaded not guilty
Eric Weinberg, the former News of the World tabloid editor charged with sending hundreds of naked pictures of celebrities and the rich and famous around the world, says he has suffered ‘a profound emotional crisis’ since being arrested two weeks ago.
The 43-year-old, who has been bailed out of custody after pleading not guilty, said he had spoken to his wife and children and plans to make a full recovery.
He appeared at Westminster Magistrates Court on Tuesday when Magistrate Michael Hoban revoked his bail.
In a statement Weinberg said: ‘I have been in a profound emotional crisis, but I intend not to self-harm. I am determined to continue to take control of my life, and to lead a fulfilling life for myself and my children.
‘All I want is to get back to my regular life and to my family.’
He is understood to be the fourth figure in the News of the World’s massive phone hacking scandal to go on trial.
Weinberg was not at court on Tuesday and has not yet seen the charges against him.
He was arrested at a hotel in the early hours of Tuesday morning after being arrested at Heathrow Airport on the way to an overseas tour.
He made the statement to the magistrates, and was taken into custody at a police station in Whitehall, London, shortly before 10.30am BST.
He does not appear to be a suspect in any ongoing corruption investigation, but is charged with possession of indecent photographs, of which he is alleged to have sent around 30 to 40 pictures of naked people, celebrities or politicians.
He faces up to life in jail if found guilty.
The trial will take place in October.
Magistrate: This court has been adjourned until Friday
The court had been packed with the media who gathered and waited to see the proceedings, and there was a strong police presence in court.
A spokesman for the Met said that some of those arrested for contempt had already made an application to be bailed.
Weinberg has been bailed out of prison on a previous conviction. He is allowed to travel to his family in Australia, but with conditions that he must surrender his passport, and remain at his family’s home in Sydney, as he is required to report back after the hearing.