The death toll from the Jakarta earthquake rises to 30

Indonesian leader says locked gates contributed to deaths of up to 50 people who were trapped inside the country’s worst-ever natural disaster A man, believed to be a volunteer, was killed after trying to…

The death toll from the Jakarta earthquake rises to 30

Indonesian leader says locked gates contributed to deaths of up to 50 people who were trapped inside the country’s worst-ever natural disaster

A man, believed to be a volunteer, was killed after trying to free the trapped survivors

The deadly outbreak struck the capital Jakarta and spread to other southern provinces

A huge wall collapsed during the disaster and trapped hundreds inside

The tragedy also triggered an exodus of thousands of people from the country’s cities

Rescue crews desperately dug through the rubble to reach survivors trapped inside

Indonesia is now one of the worst affected countries by the coronavirus, with its number of cases continuing to rise.

The deadly outbreak has hit the country hard in recent days, with the death toll rising by at least 20 to more than 80.

A total of 80 people have died and more than 700 have been infected in the country, which has been under a state of emergency since a deadly virus outbreak was reported in early March.

In the latest major figure, however, the death toll of 51 people has been confirmed as the result of the disaster that struck Jakarta, making it the biggest single-day death toll in the country’s history.

Earlier this week, a huge wall of debris fell on the capital on Friday after a massive earthquake struck the region.

In the wake of the devastating disaster, rescue workers were digging through the rubble to reach trapped survivors, and reports suggested that officials may have also been looking for survivors trapped inside the buildings.

Pictures showed people waving national flags and cheering as they walked down the road, and residents said residents had called out for help in the disaster.

Indonesian President Joko Widodo described the disaster as a “major human tragedy” in a statement on Monday after the death toll rose to 30.

“No one can deny that this tragedy will be felt for the rest of our lives”, Mr Widodo said. “Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims of this disaster and their families.”

Mr Widodo has already held a series of daily sessions with disaster victims over the weekend, including one in which he asked for “help for the people caught in these disasters

Leave a Comment